FOR MATHEMATICAL STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY
1. Special Issue of the Bernoulli Journal (BJ) in 2013. Thomas Mikosch and Richard Davis were appointed as guest editors of this special issue. It will consist of a series of invited papers to provide a glimpse at future directions in probability and statistics from new application areas, to the development of new models, to the emerging interfaces between statistics and probability with other sciences as well as essays on the future of probability and mathematical statistics. This issue will be published in addition to the four numbers of the an-nual volume and will have universal electronic open access.
2. Special Issue of the journal Stochastic Processes and their Applications (SPA), containing 20 original research articles and an editorial has been published in 2013 and is available for free downloading under the link http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/03044149/123/7
The guest editors were Rainer Dahlhaus, Jean Jacod, Per Mykland and Nakahiro Yoshida. The issue provides an overview of recent and future development of statistics for stochastic processes, often written by young researchers.
3. The 2013 July (3) issue of the Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society was prepared in collaboration with the Bernoulli Society and contains a special invited article by Professor Manfred Denker entitled “Tercentennial Anniversery of Bernoulli's Law of Large Numbers” (Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 50 (2013), 373-390). This article provides an interesting and informative historic perspective on some contemporary advances in probability and statistics that can be traced back to the publication of Jacob Bernoulli's “Ars Conjectandi”. A brief commentary by Bernoulli Society President Edward Waymire (Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 50 (2013), 469-472) is also included in this issue intended to celebrate the 300th anniversary of the publication of “Ars Conjectandi”. See http://www.ams.org/journals/bull/2013-50-03/
Professor Manfred Denker is the author or coauthor of 5 books and more than a hundred of papers on probability theory, statistics and dynamical systems. He supervised or co-supervised almost 50 PhD students. Since middle 1970 he was a professor in Georg-August Universität in Göttingen (Germany). After 2008 he moved to Penn State University (USA).
Professor Manfred Denker in Toruń on September 28th, 2004
4. “Probability and Statistics Day at UCSD” has been organized at UC San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA, on April 5th, 2013. There was an all-star lineup of researchers that gave plenary talks (David Aldous, Fan Chung-Graham, Peter Hall, Iain Johnstone, Scott Sheffield). Terry Speed gave an open public lecture entitled “Epigenetics: new challenges for probability and statistics”.See: >http://www.math.ucsd.edu/ProbStatsDay/program.html
5. On May 8th, 2013, in the frame of Warwick Public Lectures in Mathematics and Statistics, Professor Valerie Isham (University College London), current President of the Royal Statistical Society, will speak on “Rainfall, hydrology and climate”. See http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/news/wplms
6. “Ars Conjectandi Symposium” will take place in Freiburg (Germany) and Basel (Switzerland), from May 21 till 24, 2013. Thursday, May 23, is the “history day” in Basel with talks of Fritz Nagel, Martin Mattmüller and Ivo Schneider in the morning. and Chris Rogers and Jean Jacod in the afternoon. See http://arsconjectandi.uni-freiburg.de/index.html
7. . “Probability and Statistics Days” is a series of events organized in Torun (Poland), from June 5th till June 14th, 2013.
8. 29th European Meeting of Statisticians, to be held in Budapest (Hungary), from July 20th till 25th, 2013, will be very rich in events related to the International Year of Statistics 2013 (see: http://ems2013.eu/site/index.php?page=en/Programme)
9. During 36th Conference on Stochastic Processes and their Applications in Boulder, held in Colorado (USA), from July 29th till August 2nd, 2013, The Bernoulli Society Open Lecture will be given by Kenneth Golden. See: http://math.colorado.edu/spa2013
10. The XVII Brazilian School of Probability will be held in Mambucaba, Rio de Janeiro, (Brazil), from August 4th till August 10th, 2013. The event has been organized every year since 1987. This year meeting is planned as a forum for the discussion of new ideas and developments in Probability and related areas. See http://www.im.ufrj.br/ebp17/
11. A public lecture, co-sponsored by the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, the Bernoulli Society and the Statistical Society of Canada will be delivered by David Spiegelhalter, Winton Professor for the Public Understanding of Risk, University of Cambridge. during the Joint Statistical Meeting 2013 held in Montréal, Canada, August 3-8, 2013. The lecture will take place in the Grand Salon of the Hyatt Regency hotel in Montreal, on Wednesday, August 7, 2013, 2-3.50pm. This is a Public Lecture to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the publication of Jacob Bernoulli's seminal work “Ars Conjectandi”. The title of the lecture is “From gambling to global catastrophe: metaphors and images for communicating numerical risks”. See: http://www.amstat.org/meetings/jsm/2013/
12. Persi Diaconis will deliver a public lecture on Ars Conjectandi during the Mathematical Congress of the Americas 2013, held in Guanajuato, Mexico, August 5-9, 2013. See: http://www.mca2013.org
13. Conference “Building Bridges: Probability, Statistics and Applications” will be organized in Braunschweig (Germany), form August 13th till 16th, 2013. This conference is organized on the occasion of the International Year of Statistics 2013 and will contain special events commemorating the 60th birthday of Claudia Klüppelberg. See https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/stochastik/tagungen/building-bridges
14. During the 59th ISI World Statistics Congress in Hong Kong; August 24 -30, 2013 an intriguing discussion will be organized in the frame of Invited Paper Session IPS008, “History I: Jacob Bernoulli's "Ars Conjectandi" as the emergence of probability”. The session will hold on August 26th, from 13:00 till 15:15. The speakers are: Edith Sylla, Chris Burdzy, Christian P. Robert and Nick Bingham. The session has beenorganized by Adam Jakubowski.
15. International Conference Ars Conjectandi 1713-2013, Basel, October 15-16, 2013, will focus on the history of the Ars Conjectandi, the impact on science and the development to date of the most important result in this book: the Law of Large Numbers. Among invited speakers are David Aldous, Peter Bühlmann, Louis Chen, Hans Foellmer, Tilmann Gneiting, Hans-Ruedi Kuensch, Xiao-Li Meng, Fritz Nagel, Nancy Reid, Stephen Stigler, Edith Dudley Sylla, Grace Wahba. The Bernoulli Society is one of the organizations sponsoring the Basel Conference. See: http://www.statoo.ch/bernoulli13/
16. A committee chaired by Yevgeniy Kovchegov, Oregon State University, and Peter Otto, Wilamette University, and including seven universities within a houndred mile radius in Oregon are collaborating to sponsor a public lecture for the fall of 2013 in Portland, Oregon. The speaker availability and exact dates are still under negotiation, but teachers, students, business professionals, and members of local and state government will be invited to attend
17. Visiting position related to the celebration of the International Year of Statistics 2013 is offered upon application at CIMAT, Guanajuato, Mexico.
18. On March 15th, 2013, Kerala Statistical Association and St. Thomas College Pala (India) organized two public lectures. Lecture devoted to “Indian Official Statisitcs” was given by T.K Jose from Indian Administrative Service, presently the Chairman of the Coconut Development Board of India. Lecture on “Applications of Stochastic Processes” was delivered by Dr. B.V. Rao, Professor (1974-1998) and Distinguished Scientist (1998-2007) in the Indian Statistical Institute in Kolkata (India).
19. On Monday, January 21st, 2013 a quasi-round table discussion "Understanding probability. 300 years after publication of Ars Conjectandi by Jacob Bernoulli" was organized during the final workshop of the thematic cycle "Nonstationarity and Risk Management", held in Luminy (France). The discussants were: Istvan Berkes, Didier Dacunha-Castelle, Claudia Klueppelberg, Nikolai Leoneneko and Adam Jakubowski (chair).
20. Loja, Ecuador 2013-10-07, “11th School of the International Geoid Service: heights and height datum”.The International Geoid Service (IGeS) has already organized, on behalf of the International Association of Geodesy (IAG), 10 International School on the Determination and Use of the Geoid; among them 3 were given in South America. http://www.11iges.utpl.edu.ec/
21. On May 9th, 2013, Italian composer Luca Cori gave a conference, “Determinism and Probability in MusicalThought”, during a Workshop on Risk Analysis organized by Centro de Investigación enMatemáticas and Universidad de Guanajuato.
The University of Guanajuato Symphony Orchestra featured Luca Cori’s Symphony Ypnos on its May 17th, 2013, concert. It was the World premiere, on occasion of the International Year of Statistics.